Instacart charges fees based on the services being offered. You can find the breakdown of specific fees below.
Instacart delivery starts at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35. Fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35. There will be a clear indication of the delivery fee when you choose your delivery window at checkout.
As always, Instacart+ members get free delivery on orders over $35 or more per retailer.
All orders must be at least $10 to be eligible for delivery.
The heavy order fee is separate from service fees, delivery fees, or shopper tips. The heavy order fee helps cover operational costs and only applies to orders where the estimated weight of all qualifying items exceeds 50 pounds.
You can always review which items qualify for this fee before you place your order.
To find out which of your item(s) are associated with a heavy order fee—
- Create an order as you usually would in the app or on instacart.com
- You can see the heavy order fee in the order subtotal
- Select the Review link to see the heavy items in your order
- You can adjust the quantity of these items in the pop-up window to avoid or lower the heavy fee
Items at certain retailers may have a weight limit and be unavailable for purchase.
What is the service fee on my order?
The service fee helps support the Instacart platform and covers a range of operating costs including shopper operations, insurance, background checks, and customer support. The service fee isn’t a tip and doesn’t go to the shopper delivering your order.
Service fees vary and are subject to change based on factors like location and the number and types of items in your cart. You can view the service fee total on every order at checkout. Orders containing alcohol have a separate service fee.
What is the alcohol service fee?
The alcohol service fee covers the additional cost associated with ensuring compliant delivery of alcohol products and ID verification.
What if I am an Instacart+ member?
Instacart+ members pay a reduced service fee and may be charged a reduced alcohol service fee.
Is there a service fee for Pickup orders?
Instacart pickup orders have no service fees, regardless of non-Instacart+ or Instacart+ membership.
There is a “pickup fee” (equivalent to a delivery fee for pickup orders). See Pickup fees below for more information.
Why did my service fee total change after delivery?
Changes to your order, including replacing or refunding an item, change the service fee. You’ll see the final cost and service fee total on your digital receipt after the order is complete. For more information about order changes, visit this article.
Shopper tips are separate from any service fees. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper delivering your order. Learn about tipping your shopper.
Long-distance service fees
A long-distance service fee applies to Instacart+ and non-Instacart+ orders from retailers located outside your standard delivery radius (typically 30 minutes or further) or orders that require delivery through a toll bridge.
Priority fees apply to Instacart+ and non-Instacart+ customers who choose priority delivery windows during checkout. Priority fees allow customers to select shorter delivery windows (as fast as 60 minutes or less) and will vary based on shopper availability (fees will be clearly marked and start at $2). Priority fees aren’t available for all orders.
Pickup orders from certain retailers have a "pickup fee" (equivalent to a delivery fee for pickup orders).
Bottle deposit and bag fees
These fees are collected in accordance with local city, state, provincial, and territory laws where applicable. To find more information about potential bottle deposit fees, please visit bottlebill.org.
[U.S. only] To see your state’s bag fees, visit ncsl.org.
[Canada only] To see your provincial or territorial state’s bag fees, visit retailcouncil.org.
Taxes and fees
Like any other service or product, taxes are included in the order total on your delivery receipt that’s emailed to you upon the completion of your order. The tax and/or fees you pay on products purchased through the Instacart platform are calculated the same way as in a physical store. Depending on your location, the delivery or service fee that you pay to Instacart in exchange for its service may also be subject to tax. Additional fees may apply to your order depending on the city, state, province, or territory you live.
There are a few different taxes involved when you place an order—
- Sales tax: The sales tax may be applied to some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store or your delivery address. Instacart+ Membership fee and other fees are subject to applicable taxes.
- Bottle deposit: In certain jurisdictions, a bottle fee may apply to purchases of bottles, cans, or other recyclable containers. These deposits may be applied on some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local city, state, provincial, and territory laws depending on the address of the store.
- Bag fees: In certain jurisdictions, a fee is charged for use of non-reusable bags and/or reusable bags. This fee may be applied to your order in accordance with local city, state, provincial, and territory depending on the address of the store.
- Sugar-sweetened beverage fees: In certain jurisdictions, sugary beverages are subject to an additional tax. These fees may be applied to some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store.
- [Canada only] Harmonized sales tax: Basic groceries marketed for human consumption aren’t taxed. However, certain categories such as carbonated beverages, candies, and snack foods are taxable. For more information on what items are and aren’t taxable, visit the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/4-3/basic-groceries.html.
[U.S. only] Customers shopping in Oklahoma with a 100% disabled veteran sales tax exemption card issued by the Oklahoma Tax Commission can contact Instacart Care to request a sales tax refund charged on Instacart orders.
Shopper tips are separate from any Instacart fees. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper delivering your order. Learn about tipping your shopper.